Can Complementary Therapies support fertility?
Many people use complementary therapies to improve their overall fertility potential. This include herbal, vitamins, minerals, homoeopathic, nutritional and other supplements. It could be Chinese medicine, chiropractic, naturopathy, acupuncture, and aromatherapy.
There is limited but positive evidence of the benefits it has on fertility.
Acupuncture and fertility
- It reduces stress, improves quality of life while you are under treatment
- It stimulates blood flow to the uterus, there-by increasing the potential implantation.
Multi-vitamins and fertility
- Antioxidants – protect cells from damage by free radicals in environment
- Coenzyme (Q10) – is an important antioxidant and ‘energy nutrient’.
- Omega-3 fatty acids – improving omega-3 fatty acids ensures that a woman’s fat tissue stores retain a reserve of these fatty acids for the developing foetus, a healthy pregnancy and optimally fed newborn
- Vitamin E – an antioxidant that may promote circulation to the reproductive system
- Vitamin C – an antioxidant important within the ovary itself.
- Zinc – Involved in sexual development, ovulation and the menstrual cycle
- Selenium – it supports normal conception
- B-Vitamins – Vitamin B12, B6 and folate are significant for the reproductive system