IVF / ICSI with freeze all option
Most Fertility Physicians will suggest you IVF / ICSI treatment procedure. This is traditional proven technique where eggs are fertilized with sperms on egg retrieval day and quality embryos are transferred three or five days after the egg retrieval procedure.
What is NEW?
The first successful IVF/ICSI procedure done and embryo freezing took place in the 1980s. Many people have frozen embryos only to be able to transfer them later into their uterus. After egg retrieval, a fresh transfer of the embryos is not performed but all embryos are frozen, referred to as a “freeze all” in IVF/ICSI treatment.
- Research proves that you have a better chance of getting pregnancy primarily by eliminating the high hormone levels associated with ovarian stimulation, which does affect the lining of the uterus.
- To prevent the risk of developing ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome in patients that have developed many follicles and have a high estrogen level. In other words, in Freeze All cycles, we can aim to get more number of eggs, thereby embryos, without worrying of OHS.
- Preimplantation Genetic Screening or Diagnosis. Some patients chose to have their embryos tested to see if they have a normal set of chromosomes or to see if they do not contain specific genetic mutations that can cause disease.
- The first most and primary concern of doing IVF / ICSI treatment procedure and freezing embryos is that the embryo transfer is not done in the same month, which means the patient needs another month to undergo Embryo Transfer. This extends the program into two months instead of month and may not be ideal for patients traveling from other countries.
- The cost of IVF/ICSI treatment program in Mumbai will marginally increase, specially when the embryos are frozen and needed to be thawed again.
- Psychologically this type of freeze all IVF/ICSI treatment procedure can cause daunt on patients who are eager to get pregnant, and have to keep extending it over months.
For the past 5 years techniques for freezing and transferring the embryos have improved so much, that frozen embryos now have a slightly better chance of implanting than fresh embryos. The success rates at Zoi Fertility IVF Centre with the freeze all technique is around 55-65% per cycle.
Reasons for freeze all IVF/ICSI treatment procedures
- Planned freezing and storing of embryos prior to receiving chemotherapy for cancer that has direct possibility damage the eggs in the ovaries.
- To prevent the risk of developing ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome in patients that have developed many follicles and have a high estradiol level. Ovarian stimulation syndrome is a potentially dangerous condition that is increased and worsened when a patient becomes pregnant. By freezing the embryos and transferring them after the ovaries are no longer stimulated it reduces the chances of this condition
How are embryos Frozen
Embryos can be frozen from Day 3 usually. They are placed in cryo straws, sealed at both ends, and labelled and the temperature dropped to -150° Celsius.
The straws are then placed into tanks filled with liquid nitrogen, which keeps the temperature at -196° Celsius.
Cost of the IVF/ICSI Procedure
The cost for IVF / ICSI Procedure in Mumbbaiwill vary from each clinic. But most clinics will provide you a quote around 100,000 INR to 200,000 depending on which IVF / ICSI Centre is performing the procedure in Mumbai. Freezing charges for embryos will vary depending on how many embryos are frozen